Teletherapy New Jersey
Teletherapy, or online therapy, has become an increasingly popular way to do psychotherapy. During covid-19, as our practice mostly shifted to teletherapy, it has served a vital need for our clients who needed our help and support more than ever.
We’ve gotten overwhelmingly positive feedback from our clients about doing their sessions online. In fact, preliminary research studies show that online therapy is often as effective as in-person therapy.
We provide teletherapy in New Jersey for individual counseling, marriage counseling/couples therapy and family therapy.
If you are located in another State, Dr. Thorpe has the Authority to Practice Interjurisdictional Telepsychology (APIT) through PsyPact when she is in New Jersey. Please use the following link to see if your location allows for this:
Our therapists use a HIPAA-compliant video platform such as Zoom. It’s secure, confidential and easy to use.
If you’re unfamiliar with this platform, please contact us at 973-425-8868 and we’d be happy to give you a short demonstration.
Most healthcare plans may provide coverage for teletherapy, just like in-office therapy.
To confirm coverage, call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and get routed to “benefits”. From there, ask whether the following CPT codes are covered under your plan:
90791-95 (intake session);
90837-95 (60-minute individual therapy session); 90834-95 (45-minute individual therapy session); 90847-95 (50-minute family/couple therapy session).
The best thing clients like about teletherapy is convenience. Many of us live fast-paced lives, so having something that saves us time, money and energy is a huge benefit.
The Many Benefits of Teletherapy:
- You can do your sessions from the comfort of your home or office
- No need to spend time and money traveling to our office
- No need to get a babysitter if you have young children
- You can still have your session in bad weather
- You can still have your session if you’re sick, injured or disabled
- No need to sit in a waiting room with other people
Because teletherapy is new for most people, here are five tips to have the best possible experience:
- Find a quiet and private space. If possible, have that be your “go-to” spot for all of your sessions.
- Avoid distractions. Turn off notifications for your devices and minimize sounds that could be disruptive. Don’t attempt to juggle other tasks during the call. You want to remain as present as possible for the duration of your session, just as you would if it were in-person.
- Optimize the video experience. If you can, place your computer on a stable surface and avoid using your phone for video sessions. Using earphones or headphones help with the sound quality and ensuring privacy. Check the strength of your Internet connection ahead of time.
- Have a Plan B. Occasionally there will be technical glitches, so it’s important to have a backup plan like FaceTime.
- Lighting is important. Be mindful of where you sit in relation to a window or light source. Try to ensure that your face is clearly visible, with no glare.
To schedule a teletherapy session in New Jersey, please call us at 973-425-8868 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you online.