Dr. Tamsen Thorpe is a clinical psychologist and owner of Directions – A Center for Life Strategies. She has more than 20 years of experience specializing in anxiety counseling and marriage counseling/couples therapy.
Dr. Thorpe sees clients with general anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety, phobias and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
With couples, Dr. Thorpe primarily works with those who are in transition or in high conflict. Dr. Thorpe also has extensive training in issues related to divorce, so she sometimes helps couples decide whether to stay together, providing divorce coaching and co-parent training.
In addition to her counseling work, Dr. Thorpe has conducted numerous corporate seminars on topics such as healthy relationships and stress management.
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, The California School of
M.S., Organizational Psychology, Stevens Institute of Technology
B.S., Psychology, Drew University (magna cum laude)
Advanced training in anxiety disorders:
- Yearlong post-doctoral rotation, UCLA, Westwood, CA
Advanced training in couples therapy/marriage counseling:
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, (EFT) Core Skills and Externship, NJ, http://eftcnj.com , http://eftcnj.com/tamsen-thorpe
- Marital Therapy: A Research Based Approach, The Gottman Institute, Seattle, WA, https://www.gottman.com
- Principles and Practice of Sex Therapy, Sandra Leiblum, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
Forensic psychology training in family law:
Dr. Thorpe has obtained certifications and attended intensive courses including, but not limited to, those listed below.
- Certified in Family Mediation, NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), New Brunswick, NJ
- Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training, Center for Mediation and Collaborative Divorce, Wall, NJ
- Parent Coordinator Training, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), Madison, WI
- Children and Divorce: The Voice of the Children and Interventions When Children Resist Parental Contact, AFCC, Madison, WI
- New Ways For Families, High Conflict Institute, San Diego, CA — a program helping families transition through separation/divorce
- Advanced Issues in Child Custody, AFCC, Madison, WI
Forensic psychology training in law enforcement:
- Firearms, Concept at Palo Alto University, Palo Alto, CA
- Evaluation of Police Suitability & Fitness for Duty, Concept at Palo Alto University, Palo Alto, CA